Saturday, February 28, 2009

Medford - Week #4.3

Thursday - February 26

Medford's Railroad Park

Today, my last here in Medford, I went out for a bike ride around town. I didn't have a destination in mind but just rode around aimlessly trying to see whatever sights I might have missed in the last month. Just by accident I ran across Medford's Railroad Park. I had read about the park but after learning that it was closed in the winter gave up on making a visit. The park displays historical railroad equipment and operates scale steam trains that the public can ride on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month from April through October.

The park began in 1979 with an agreement between the Southern Oregon Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society and the City of Medford. The area occupied by the park was once the cities sewage treatment plant. Today the park is the home of the Morse Telegraph Club, the Rogue Valley Model Railroad Club, the Oregon Live Steamers, and the Southwest Oregon Large Scale Train Club.



This picture shows the firebox and boiler of an old steam locomotive under reconstruction at the park.




You can read more about Railroad Park at: http://tunnel13.com/park.html


Friday - February 27

I left Medford at about 10:30 this morning for the return trip to Seattle where I arrived back home at about 7pm. It's probably been many years since I've made the drive on I-5 from southern Oregon up to Portland because I had forgotten how mountainous it is until you get to Eugene. Then north of Eugene it's a fairly boring drive.

Ahhhh! Home sweet home...


No comments: