Tuesday, August 23, 2011

High and Dry Bluegrass Festival - Bend, Oregon

I spent the weekend from August 19th to the 21st at the High and Dry Bluegrass Festival in Bend.  I decided to camp at the festival to make it easier to participate in the jam sessions which is really the best part for me.  I got there Thursday night to make sure I got a good campsight.  So here you see Camp High and Dry.

You can learn more about the High and Dry Festival at: www.hadbf.com/



In between the main stage acts they had a smaller stage set up for short sets performed by people attending the festival.  My camp neighbor, Steve, played the bango with some other friends on the bonus stage.  These guys really could have been a main stage act.







On Saturday morning there were workshops taught by festival performers.  All of the different classes, guitar, banjo, fiddle, vocal, mandolin, vocals, and bass worked on the same song-- Salty Dog Rag.  Then in the afternoon we did a Mega-Band performance of Salty Dog Rag.  All of the different instruments got to take a turn at center stage.  You'll see me on the far left here with the mandolin section.





Through the course of the festival my camp neighbors Steve and fiddle player Amy, who I knew from the Pine Mountain camp out, learned that they both liked to play Celtic tunes and got together for a short jam on Sunday morning.  The fiddle and mandolin make a really nice combo.

No comments: