Friday, July 24, 2015

Higgins Lake, Michigan

From the late 1950's until the late 1960's my mom, brother, and I spent the summer at our cottage on Higgins Lake. My dad would come up for weekends or a whole week as vacation time permitted. My parents sold the cottage in the late 1970's after living there for several years after my dad retired.

After my camping trip this summer at Michigan's Leelanau State Park I stopped for a couple of days to visit my brother, Dave, and sister-in-law Jan who were staying at Higgins Lake for a week.

We were staying on the opposite side of the lake from our old cottage but we went over there one day for a walk down memory lane. This road runs in front of the cottage along the lake front. It was nearly a daily routine for my brother and I to walk the road to our grandparents cottage about a mile away.







A few trees have been cut down, a garage added and the space next to the large picture window with the chimney is new but this is the cottage that my grandfather built.

Our grandmother, often still in her bathrobe, unless we protested particularly loud,would drive us back home later in the afternoon. She did EVERYTHING in her bathrobe at the lake. The store, the post office, the hardware... and I don't remember thinking it was anything but normal.   She knew EVERYBODY and had to stop and chat.