Friday, July 29, 2011

Victoria, British Columbia




After biking the KVRR  I met up with my friend Jeff and his family in Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island.  From Hope, BC I drove to Tsawassen, BC to catch the ferry, about and hour ride on the ferry.









My friend Jeff and I worked together at the Army Corps of Engineers in Alaska in the early '80's.  I was so happy when I found out that it would work for me to meet up with him and his wife Mai and daughter Audrey in Victoria for a couple of days.
















These little tiny boats-- they held 11 passengers--  were giving hour long tours around the inner harbor in Victoria.  It was a very cool tour and I think Audrey even thought it was OK.








This is a street musician we saw-- he was pretty terrible...  I gave him a dollar though.  He really needs to look for a real job.















OK, I don't go to church but if I did I'd want it to look like this one...











I went out for a bike ride the night before I met up with Jeff and family and saw this old Checker Cab parked on the street in downtown Victoria.  Checker cabs were manufactured in Kalamazoo, MI-- an hours drive from where I grew up in Lansing.  (pretty cool if you like old cars... and it was a beauty.)









In the afternoon we toured the British Columbia Parliament Building and learned a bit about their provincial government.  I really liked it-- Audrey thought it was pretty boring but she's just eleven.  This picture is of the central capital dome.








I took the Blackball Ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, WA.  It's a privately run ferry and was the most direct way for me to get to Port Townsend on the Olympic Penninsula where I met up with my friend David for the weekend jazz festival in Port Townsend.








No comments: