Friday, September 5, 2014

My Langins - Traditional Song "Once More a Lumberin' Go"



Notes by Joe Leeak:For any other Langin musicians here's a transcription of "Once More a Lumberin' Go" with my best guess at chord changes. This song was sung by Carl Lathrop in 1938 in St. Louis, MI and recorded by musicologist Alan Lomax.

Once More a Lumberin' Go
Traditional

Come (I)all you sons of freedom and (IV)listen to my theme. Come (I)all you jolly lumberjacks that (V)run the Saginaw stream. We'll (I)cross the Tittabawassee where the (IV)mighty waters flow. And (I)we'll roam the wild woods over and once (V)more a lumberin' (I)go.

[Chorus]
And (I)once more a lumberin' go. We'll (V)roam the wild woods over And once more a lumberin' (I)go.

When the (I)white frost hits the valley and the (IV)snow conceals the woods. The (I)lumberjack has lots to do to (V)find his family food. He has no (I)time he has for pleasure or to (IV)hunt the buck and doe. He (I)will roam the wild woods over and once (V)more a lumberin' (I)go.

[Chorus]

With our (I)cross-cut saws and axes we will (IV)make the woods resound. And (I)many a tall stately tree will come (V)crashing to the ground. From our (I)cant-hooks on our shoulders to our (IV)boot top, white with snow. We will (I)roam the wild woods over and once (V)more a lumberin' (I)go.

[Chorus]

You may (I)talk about your farms, your (IV)houses and fine places. But (I)pity not the shantyboys while (V)dashing on their sleigh; For (I)'round the good campfire at night we'll (IV)sing while wild winds blow. And we'll (I)roam the wild woods over and once (V)more a lumberin' (I)go.

[Chorus]

And when (I)navigation's open and the (IV)water runs so free. We'll (I)drive our logs to Saginaw once (V)more our girls to see. They will (I)all be there to meet us and our (IV)hearts in rapture flow. We will (I)stay with them through summer then once (V)more a lumberin' (I)go.

[Chorus]

And (I)once more a lumberin' go. We'll (V)stay with them through summer, Then once more a lumberin' (I)go. When our (I)youthful days are ended an our (IV)stories are growing old. We'll (I)take to each man a wife and (V)settle on the farm. We'll (I)have plenty to eat and drink, (IV)contented we will go. We'll (I)tell our wives of our hard times and no (V)more a lumberin' (I)go. [Chorus] And no (I)more a lumberin' go We'll (V)tell our wives of our hard times And no more a lumberin' (I)go.